Last night, I got the urge to eat a baked good. I went to Starbucks to study in the afternoon with David and I stared into the case of baked goods and pleaded with myself that I didn’t need a big, fat, sugary, yummy pastry. Now that I’ve made you all think about pastries, here’s a very healthy alternative! Without further adieu, may I present “boatmeal” as Katie on Chocolate-Covered Katie calls it? Her blog is fabulous. It’s ALL about healthy desserts.
I followed her recipe (modified because I didn’t have the staple…chocolate chips in the house) for Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal.
Banana Baked Oatmeal Cupcakes
6 tiny cupcakes
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 packages of stevia (you can use 1 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup as well)
- I banana mashed in food processor or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g)
- 1/4 cup milk, creamer, juice, or water (I used a little less than 1/4 c. of almond milk)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Optional: unless you like the taste of fat-free baking, add 1-2T oil, vegan butter, or nut butter (If oil, scale the milk back a little. If vegan butter, scale the salt back a little.) I used 1 1/2 Tbsp. of oil.
- Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon (If you like cinnamon in chocolate chip cookies)
Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then mix in wet. If using a banana, mash in food processor. Pour mixture into a 6 cup cupcake pain or you can use a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin (or, for mini boats, two 1/2-cup ramekins). Cook for 20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3-5 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins first if you want your cakes to pop out.
My husband and I decided that these little babies definitely did the trick for the craving for a baked treat. I think that drizzling honey on the top of them before baking and letting it “bake in” would be a delicious addition or of course (like the recipe calls for) adding chocolate chips! There are so many different versions of this recipe that I’m going to keep going with it! It only took me about 30 minutes including baking time, so they were extremely quick and easy as well.
Overall, A+ recipe. Try them and tell me what modifications you make!
P.S. Where is all this night time productivity coming from?? Oh yeah, probably the
kegs cups full of green tea, yerba mate, and chai tea I’ve been drinking the past few days.