I have a wonderful little not-so-healthy to healthy food swap for you today! You would think that it wouldn’t “do the trick”, but I promise with all my heart that it not only “does the trick,” but is extremely tasty as well. Without further adieu, I introduce to you zucchini noodles. Yes, shredded zucchini can and should take the place of your bad carb-laden white noodles.
You can use zucchini noodles as a replacement for any dish you would use regular noodles. Thus far, I have tried it in both an Asian dish with peanut sauce and with marinara as in spaghetti and both worked out well.
Here are seven reasons why you should be eating zucchini:
1. One cup of zucchini has 36 calories and 10% of the RDA of fiber, thus helping with digestion.
2. Fiber can also lower cholesterol
3. Zucchini contains antioxidants and help prevent cancer. There is lots of vitamin A and C as well as folate in this veggie that fight oxidative stress in the body. The fiber also prevents colon cancer.
4. Aids in prostate health
5. It’s an anti-inflammatory. The vitamin A and C work to deter inflammation, but there is also copper found in zucchini which also helps in inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and asthma.
6. Zucchini contains 19% of the RDA of manganese in 1 cup. Manganese helps our bodies metabolize carbs and protein and stops the creation of cholesterol and fatty acids. Manganese also aids in the production of sex hormones.
7. Zucchini contains 10% of the RDA of magnesium in 1 cup which fights heart attacks, strokes and high blood pressure!
Either use a mandoline or a veggie peeler to slice up the zucchini. In a pan on the stove, add a dollop of oil (I use either coconut or EVOO) and steam the zucchini stirring often. Once the zucchini is the texture of your taste (usually after about 5-7 minutes), add the sauce of your choice and any extra veggies and simmer together as you would any other dish. It doesn’t take long at all!
Create something with this and let me know what you’ve made!